JOB TITLE: Machine Maintenance Technician
REPORTS TO: Facilities Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
The Machine Maintenance Technician is responsible for a wide range of activities involving troubleshooting, repairing, servicing, and maintaining the plant production machinery and equipment, and physical building systems. This position will also assist in developing an inventory system for key parts for emergency repairs.
- Help the plant run to optimal production levels by repairing or installing equipment and respond to breakdowns or faulty equipment calls throughout the plant
- Safely and efficiently troubleshoot, diagnose and repair hydraulic, air, electrical, and electronic (PLC) problems on various types of printing/mailing industry machinery and equipment such as, intelligent inserters, tabbers, ink jet, sealers, cutters, folders, etc.
- Locates and diagnoses failures, replaces defective components, and performs basic troubleshooting using standard equipment, detailed drawings, diagrams, sketches, specifications, prints, manuals, and verbal and/or written instructions.
- Properly inspect and maintain shop equipment, in accordance with OSHA regulation.
- Follow a preventive maintenance schedule to lessen exposure to downtime related repairs and maintenance.
- Repair and install equipment such as pumps, compressors, blowers and gear boxes.
- Cleans and lubricates parts.
- Keep the maintenance and inventory areas clean and organized.
- Assist in set up of the production machines and assist Maintenance Manager.
- Perform general plant and building maintenance.
- Ensure safety guards and personal protective equipment are utilized at all times.
- Ensure compliance with company policies, procedures, quality standards, and follows work instruction.
- Assist in monitoring all work performed by outside contractors.
- Communicate with Maintenance Supervisor, production department and Plant management, as needed.
- Machine maintenance experience with a strong background in both electrical and mechanical systems is a must.
- Possesses solid understanding of frequency drives, motor starters, overloads, programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and other electrical circuits.
- Good computer skills.
- Strong technical problem-solving skills
- Must have prior training on general OSHA Standards, use of portable fire extinguisher, hazardous waste awareness, OSHA standards for lockout/tagout procedures, fire safety and fall protection.
- Skilled in basic steel fabrication, welding, machining, including use of machine shop tools
- Licensed for forklifts and scissor lifts
- Good working knowledge of shop mathematics and the ability to read drawings, blue prints, and schematics;
- Attention to details and follow detailed instructions.
- Ability to read electrical testing devices such as ohmmeters and voltmeters
- Ability to work in a physically demanding & fast-paced environment.
- Valid Driver License, reliable transportation and solid attendance.
- Able to work all shifts and overtime as needed
- Safety first – always conducts a risk assessment before undertaking work and informs colleagues and other employees how to correctly follow appropriate safety procedures.
- Team Player – Stays to get the job done
- Ability to use critical thinking and problem-solving to identify solutions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all employees
- Ability to work independently and handle competing priorities simultaneously.
- Effective interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Must be motivated towards productivity improvements, safety and quality awareness.
- Willing and able to provide occasional off-shift attended support for emergency repairs
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- 5-7 years’ of experience within the field of industrial maintenance within a fast-paced manufacturing environment
Preferred Education and Experience
- Programmable Logic Controller (PLC): 2 years (Preferred)
- Trade school or college courses in Electrical, Hydraulic and Pneumatics preferred.
Work Environment – Physical Demands
The work environment is a fast-paced production environment where the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, vibration and moderate to loud noise level. occasional exposure to heat, cold, dust, fumes, and chemicals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to operate machinery, stand, walk, sit, kneel, crawl, bend at waist; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach out and overhead with hands and arms; climb stairs and ladders, work in confined and awkward spaces; talk or hear. The employee must be able to life or move 50 pounds or more with or without the assistance of others or devices. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. May use solvents when cleaning, oils during lubrication and alcohol or alcohol replacement during upkeep and operation of unit. Must be able to identify the basic colors Black, White, Red, Green, Orange, Brown and Grey.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position with a standard schedule of 40 hours per week. Overtime may be required dependent upon business necessity.
Graphic Village is committed to using recruiting and hiring techniques that attract a diverse pool of applicants. We will use selection criteria, processes and techniques that are fair; that identify quality applicants with the necessary skill set for success; and that have no adverse impact on minorities, women, disabled persons or members of other protected classes. We are an E-Verify participating employer and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
It is Graphic Village policy to provide equal opportunity in employment to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital, military, veteran or citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, or any other status protected by law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.