JOB TITLE: Head Press Operator -2nd shift
REPORTS TO: Department Head
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
The Head Press Operator -2nd shift, working in conjunction with the Press Helper, assists in the production of high-quality printing jobs, to meet customer and company expectations, in a cost-effective manner while meeting strict deadlines, on one of several large printing presses.
- Set up, adjust, operate, and maintain a single or multicolor offset press to print single-color, two color, and/or multicolor work.
- Review job specifications to determine the press setup according to the imposition of the run.
- Perform all make-ready tasks associated with the type of press operated such as hanging plates, examine plates/cylinders for imperfections and checks for correct positioning of images, prepping blankets, adjusting tension and register etc.
- Make necessary color corrections and/or press adjustments prior to production run to meet and maintain the quality specifications of the work.
- Clean, lubricate, and maintain the press, making minor repairs and replacing worn or broken parts as required. Performs periodic maintenance recommended by the manufacturer.
- Knowledge of digital and offset presses, specifically 40” 6 color Komori sheet fed and 37” 5 color Ryobi sheet fed both with coaters.
- Requires thorough knowledge of offset printing procedures, materials and specifications, equipment, and safety requirements and skills to perform assignments.
- Skill to read and understand job specifications and knowledge of press capabilities to determine the most appropriate press usage, press settings and materials needed to run the job successfully.
- Skill to make a variety of difficult precise settings of controls, settings, and adjustments, and to perform routine operational maintenance of equipment.
- Skill in routine operational maintenance and minor repairs to equipment.
- Knowledge of the appropriate amount of packing pressure needed to obtain the proper printing pressure for the type of job being run.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities, but may be asked to assist others in the department with problem solving when required. Assist in the training of junior employees and be able to cover other positions in department for vacations or absenteeism.
The work environment is a fast-paced production environment where the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, vibration and moderate to loud noise level. Hearing protection, safety glasses and safety toe shows are required at all times while working.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; squat; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift or move up to 25 pounds and periodically life or move up to 59lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include 20/20 vision with or without correction, color vision, good depth perception, close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position with a standard schedule of 40 hours per week. Overtime may be required dependent upon business necessity.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience running a 6-color press (Komori and Ryobi Press experience preferred).
Graphic Village is committed to using recruiting and hiring techniques that attract a diverse pool of applicants. We will use selection criteria, processes and techniques that are fair; that identify quality applicants with the necessary skill set for success; and that have no adverse impact on minorities, women, disabled persons or members of other protected classes.
It is Graphic Village policy to provide equal opportunity in employment to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital, military, veteran or citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, or any other status protected by law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.