SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
The head press operator is responsible for setting up, adjusting, operating, and maintaining a single or multicolored offset press to print single-color, two-color, and/or multicolored work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review job specifications to determine the press setup according to the imposition of the run.
- Perform all make-ready tasks associated with the type of press operated such as hanging plates, examine plates/cylinders for imperfections and checks for correct positioning of images, prepping blankets, adjusting tension and register etc.
- Make necessary color corrections and/or press adjustments prior to production run to meet and maintain the quality specifications of the work
- Clean, lubricate, and maintain the press, making minor repairs and replacing worn or broken parts as required
- Performs periodic maintenance recommended by the manufacturer
- Skill to make a variety of difficult precise settings of controls, settings, and adjustments, and to perform routine operational maintenance of equipment.
- Skill in routine operational maintenance and minor repairs to equipment
- Knowledge of the appropriate amount of packing pressure needed to obtain the proper printing pressure for the type of job being run
- Assist others in the department with problem-solving when required
- Assist in the training of junior employees
- Be able to cover other positions in the department for vacations or absenteeism
- Requires thorough knowledge of offset printing procedures, materials and specifications, equipment, and safety requirements and skills to perform assignments
- Skill to read and understand job specifications and knowledge of press capabilities to determine the most appropriate press usage, press settings, and materials needed to run the job successfully
3-5 years’ experience required. Requires thorough knowledge of offset printing procedures, materials and specifications, equipment, and safety requirements and skills to perform assignments. Skill to read and understand job specifications and knowledge of press capabilities to determine the most appropriate press usage, press settings, and materials needed to run the job successfully
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS:
Balancing; Stooping; Kneeling; Standing; Walking; Pushing; Pulling; Grasping; Talking; Hearing; Repetitive Motion.
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
VISUAL ACUITY REQUIREMENTS:
Visual Acuity to Perform – Determine Accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned. Make general observations of facilities and workspace.
WORKING CONDITIONS SUBJECT TO THIS POSITION:
Subject to Noise: The worker is subject to sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the noise level.